Dissecting the Digital.

Ah, yes. The mad scientist in me has returned.

(Insert crazy, maniacal laugh here).

This really shouldn’t be much of a surprise. You had to have known from my previous experiments that once I wound up pregnant again it would only be a matter of time before I turned my bathroom back into a makeshift laboratory.

It seems that I have a slight addiction to at-home pseudo-chemistry.

So, for this round of science fun, I decided to take apart my digital pregnancy tests.

copyright-suburban princess diaries

Something that the instructions tell you to NEVER, EVER do.

The reasoning behind this is that most women (including myself) will endlessly scrutinize the results of their HPT’s, until their eyes start to burn from staring at the stick. This is why the standard line tests are so much fun. The lines (or lack thereof) can sometimes be open to interpretation.

The digital is much more straightforward. It has a readout that says “Pregnant” or “Not Pregnant”. It eliminates the lines and the ambiguity that comes with them.

No room for interpretation. No fun.

But...crack open a digital and you will find a strip. With those fun little lines.

The instructions that come with the test state that the lines are meaningless. They can only be read by the test. The word result that comes up in the window is the only one you should rely on.

That said, I’ve read many internet posts where women who have gotten a “Not Pregnant” readout on a digital test have not heeded the instruction’s warnings and opened up the stick to find a strip with two lines…

…Which inevitably leads to a lot of false hope.

Two lines? That usually means pregnant. So maybe the test is positive but the digital readout just isn’t picking up the second line.

It seems logical. But the instructions don’t lie. There is no way to determine a positive or negative result on a digital just by looking at the lines.

I have proof.

Both times I took the test, at the beginning of this pregnancy, the digital readout said “Pregnant”.

copyright-suburban princess diaries

Each time, after a few minutes, curiosity got the best of me, and I pried the stupid things open.

It took a few frustrating seconds (and almost breaking a nail) but I finally got the suckers apart.

DSC_0060

Only to find the inside of a freaking small computer staring back at me.

Seriously, it seems a bit too much for a home pregnancy test, doesn’t it?

Seeing it’s technological guts laid out almost made me feel as if I had peed on a the motherboard of a Nintendo Gameboy.

Weird.

Then I pulled out the test strips.

This is the from the first positive test. Only one line. 1linedigitalWhile the second positive test has two lines.DSC_0064

So the lines obviously are not meant to be read by the naked eye. You could be pregnant and get one line or two. Or you could be not pregnant and get one line or two.

My advice is to follow the instructions and resist the urge to tear the thing apart.

Besides, you don’t want to risk ruining your French manicure for no good reason.

Related Posts with Thumbnails