Making the Case for Double Occupancy

copyright-suburban princess diaries

From the beginning, I have thought one thing.

Maybe… just maybe… it’s twins.

I am not just taking a crazy guess at this. I have a long list of reasons that I suspect there may be two cupcakes baking in there.

Here is why I’m betting that we are having two:

#1.) Spotting: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I never spot. Not ever during any one of my other pregnancies. That aside, spotting isn’t very common (only happens in 30% of pregnancies) and it is much more likely to happen in twin and higher-order multiple pregnancies.

I seriously cannot think of any other explanation for why I would have implantation spotting this time (and for a whole week) when it’s never been an issue before.

#2.) Elevated FSH Levels: This is a strange one, but it’s totally relevant. Remember awhile back when I failed that fertility test? Well, the test considered me to be a failure because it picked up elevated levels of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) in my system. This particular hormone becomes elevated for most women as they get older and their ovarian reserve becomes depleted. The hormone increases in an attempt to release more of the eggs that are left in a last ditch effort to achieve pregnancy before time runs out and the woman reaches menopause.

Basically, if you have elevated FSH levels you can hyperovulate.

And hyperovulation can lead directly to twins.

I also discovered that in some cases breastfeeding can cause FSH levels to increase. Which is why I may have failed that test in the first place.

And that leads me to my next reason.

#3.) Breastfeeding: Women who are breastfeeding at the time of conception are nine times more likely to become pregnant with twins.

My theory is that it may somehow be the link between breastfeeding and FSH levels.

And, I have been exclusively breastfeeding my five month-old son now since birth…so there’s that.

#4.) Number of Pregnancies: It’s been proven that the more kids you have, the more likely you are to conceive twins in a later pregnancy.

I have an example for this. Take a look at Michelle and JimBob (hehe..his name is JimBob) Duggar. 19 kids…with two sets of twins.

I’ve been pregnant more than a few times, although not near Duggar numbers yet…

#5.) Family History: My sisters are twins, which means my mom could have passed down a gene for hyperovulation to me or my sisters.

And that whole thing about twins skipping a generation?

It’s a myth.

#6.) Ravenous Appetite: This one is less scientific, but it still makes me wonder. Case in point, since that first positive test, I have been eating like a beast. I am always hungry. I never feel full. In fact, I can eat an entire pizza by myself.

I should also mention that I’ve single-handedly managed to blow through our entire monthly grocery budget in a little less than two weeks.

Maybe I’m eating for three?

7.) Newfound Narcolepsy: Not only have I been hungry enough to demolish the dinner buffet at the Duggar house (nice tie-in, right?) but I also can’t keep my eyes open to save my life. I wake up, give the kids breakfast, and then catnap on the couch while they watch cartoons. A few hours later, I put everyone (myself included) down for a real nap. I get back up before dinner, eat enough to feed a small army and then pass out on the couch before nine.

I’m like freaking Sleeping Beauty over here.

Based on the above, I’m almost convinced that there’s two in there.

Then again I could be wrong.

Like last time, when I thought that maybe we were having a girl.

But I’ll let the jury weigh in. After hearing all the evidence, what’s your verdict?

Related Posts with Thumbnails