Tales from the Labor and Delivery Triage

Things have been a little crazy lately.

Okay, maybe that is a bit of an understatement.

First things first, I took that horrendous three-hour glucose tolerance test.

I went into it thinking that my worst problem would be the boredom I would have to endure sitting around the waiting room in between blood draws.

I was wrong.

About ten minutes after I drank the glucose solution, I started to feel dizzy and nauseous. Really nauseous.

I told the phlebotomist that I felt like I needed to throw up.

She warned me that if I did, I would have to come back another day and do the whole test over again.

So I sucked it up and sat in the waiting room for another two and half hours watching HGTV and trying to hold in the upchuck.

Until I got out to the parking lot. Then I puked.

But at least I made it through all the blood draws first.

The test results came back two days later, and much to my surprise, I passed.

I had it the last time I was pregnant and my one hour test came back pretty high, so I figured I was doomed.

Especially since that 3 pound bag of Smarties I consumed during the week of Halloween couldn’t have helped any.

Even so, I don’t have gestational diabetes this time around. Hooray!

The good news was short lived though. Later that same night, I starting having cramps. And sharp contractions.

Much to my dismay, after several hours, I finally broke down and called the doctor.

Who sent me straight to Labor & Delivery at the hospital.

111900_0115[00] 111900_0114[00]

I ended up staying overnight, hooked up on the monitors. The contractions made my doctor nervous, so they gave me an injection to calm things down.

It didn’t work so well, so they gave me another one an hour later.

That was followed up with an oral dose an hour after that.

They would have sent me home with a script for the oral medication but decided not to because the side effects were worse than the contractions. I ended up with an excruciating headache that made me dizzy and nauseous.

Guess who threw up right before being discharged?

Yep, that was me.

The doctor threw around the idea of keeping me another night, but I was exhausted and really wanted to get home to my own bed at that point.

I don’t sleep in hospitals.

The big goal now is to make it past New Year’s with this baby still in my belly. Hopefully the modified bed rest, progesterone injections and muscle relaxers will do the trick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails