A Royal Pain in the Ass (Literally).

My last OB appointment was with Dr. Coyote Ugly.

And I finally lost the battle over progesterone injections.

I tried to think of all the valid arguments that I had come up with about why I wanted to avoid them, but when she started interrogating me about it on the exam table, my mind went completely blank.

All I could come up with was the fact that other people I know have warned me about how uncomfortable the injections are.

That’s a pretty lame excuse when the doctor thinks that you could very likely deliver by 28 weeks and end up with a very tiny baby in a neonatal intensive care unit.

I knew how stupid I sounded as soon as the words left my mouth.

In my defense, up until last week, I never considered the baby at risk for delivering so extremely early. I knew from the beginning I would never make it to 40 weeks, but I never dreamed that I might be giving birth to a micro preemie.

But there is an extremely high possibility that could happen.

I have been cramping…and contracting. Quite often. And sometimes in patterns.

So, I shut up before I could sputter out any more nonsense and I let the doctor write up the order for the weekly injections.

I had the first one this morning. In the butt.

Letting a nurse shove a huge needle in my backside is not as fun as it may sound, and she has to give the injection slowly so the oil mixture will distribute itself evenly. It is awful. And I haven’t been able to sit or really walk since. It has made my entire left side from the waist down ache.

Those things freaking hurt!

Doing this every week for the next few months is really going to suck, especially since there is no way to tell if the progesterone will keep me from going into labor or not.

No one knows why I went into spontaneous preterm labor with Bronx. And if it happens again, it might not have anything to do with my progesterone levels.

It’s a “try it out and hope that it works” kind of treatment.

Which is one of the reasons I wanted to hold off, but of course, I couldn’t think of that while sitting in the hot seat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails