Tricky, Tricky…

In my never-ending quest to turn my bathroom into a makeshift science lab, I stumbled upon another experiment that I just had to try.

I came across a blog post by a fellow POAS queen who mentioned that if she ran out of pregnancy tests, she could always use her leftover ovulation prediction tests (OPK’s) as a backup.

Say What?! I’d never heard of this.

Of course, I had to see if it was true. And I actually had a whole box of leftover Clearblue Easy Digital Ovulation tests just sitting around waiting to expire.

It was time to let the myth busting begin. I took one, waited for three minutes and much to my surprise…

DSCN2346

I found out that we are having a smiley face.

I did a little more research and found out that ovulation predictors look for the Luteinizing Hormone (LH) which is nearly identical to human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG), the hormone detected by pregnancy tests. So OPK’s will turn up positive for ovulation and pregnancy. (Note: It doesn’t work the other way around though. Pregnancy tests will only pick up hCG, not LH.)

I’m a little ticked. If I had known about this handy- dandy little trick when I first suspected I was pregnant, I could have just used up this box of digital OPK’s. And then maybe, just maybe, I wouldn’t have had to blow through all of these…

DSCN2264

Related Posts with Thumbnails