Beefcake.

Back in the day, I used to look like this:

 scan0001

That was before I received a deep-fryer as a wedding gift, before I turned my uterus into a baby factory, and before my metabolism decided it was tired and needed a break.

I ended up with a muffin-top, or as I would rather refer to it, a Jell-O-Jiggler. I also put on a little extra cushioning everywhere else, around 15 pounds more than what you see in the picture above. I know that doesn’t sound like very much, but remember, I’m 4’11”. When I gain five pounds, it looks like I just packed on an extra ten. So, after Bronx was born, I finally admitted to myself that my tummy was a flabby mess and switched to a tankini.

That really sucked for me. As part of my package of personal flaws, I have a huge vanity problem. All of a sudden I went from having no body-image issues to wishing I could just stop eating altogether for a week to get my skinny back.

I just don’t have that kind of willpower. And I have a weakness for anything that is drenched in grease or covered in chocolate.

Gross, I know.

Around mid-February, I had an epiphany. Why the hell wasn’t I taking advantage of my husband’s membership discount at the gym where he works? He’s been there for almost nine years, so why I didn’t have this bright idea when we first got married or after I had my first baby still frustrates me. I could have avoided the mini-Buddha belly altogether if I weren’t such a pro at overlooking the obvious. Sometimes the blonde really does get the best of me. *Sigh*

In March, I got myself a gym buddy and I started getting serious. Since then, I have been using that picture to get motivated about getting my old body back. I spend 4-5 days a week, two hours a day, at the gym. I run and I lift weights.

On days that I don’t feel like going, I remind myself that it’ll give me a short break from the kid chaos in my life. Yay! Time to myself where I can actually think.

I’d be an idiot to pass that up.

In the past few weeks, I have really tried to shift my focus back to the running. I used to run track as a sprinter in high school and I loved it.

So, when my crazy, running fool of a sister (She went to college on a track scholarship and even though she has graduated, still runs) asked me if I wanted to run a 5K with her, I jumped at it.

I really shouldn’t jump at things like that. I am such a spaz.

At first, I was really excited and ambitious. Last week, I thought “Who am I kidding…there is no way I can run this!” and yesterday I decided that I better at least try to prepare for this madness. I’ve been gearing up ever since for the race, which is this Saturday. Today I ran my 1st practice 5K (which, truth be told, was the first 5K I have ever ran in my life) and I was surprised at how well I actually did. I ran the whole thing in THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES. If you break that down, that averages out to about 12 minutes per mile. Not too shabby for someone who was as out of shape as I was when I started this whole thing just a few months back.

My big goal (now that I know I will actually be able to make it through the entire race) is to be out of that stupid tankini and back into a real bikini before the end of summer.

beach blonde

Unfortunately, I think that means I have to give up the Ben and Jerry’s.

I don’t know if I have the strength.

Related Posts with Thumbnails