Poison Control

Untitled-1 

Thanks to the McNeil company for completely destroying my faith in the safety of children's over-the-counter pharmaceuticals.

As you may already know, I have been involved in my fair share of
product recalls. All involving products that are used by my children, and all prompted by injuries or fatalities (or excessive amounts of lead paint). This recall is entirely different. There have been no reports (or at least no reports made public) about any adverse effects from the medications in question.

From my understanding, McNeil is recalling infant and children's Tylenol & Motrin, Children's Zyrtec and children's Benadryl because of some quality control issues, involving some medications that contain more of the active ingredient than specified or some that contain particles.

Strangely enough, that doesn't make me any less freaked out.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not one of those moms that shoves droppers and spoonfuls of bubble gum flavored syrup down my kids throats for every little pain or cough. I am not a big fan of medication period. Personally, I won't take something unless I absolutely have to, and then I usually pay for it by suffering side effects that are just as bad (if not worse) than whatever ailment I was trying to relieve in the first place. Add to that, the fact my coping skills for pain management include cursing and screaming like a banshee, meaning I will get desperate and take meds and still end up miserable. It's a lose-lose situation.

But I do appreciate the miracles that Tylenol and (it's magical cousin, Tylenol PM) have done for me. And I keep the baby and kid versions of Tylenol and Motrin in my medicine cabinet for those times when I have a infant screaming with excruciating teething pain or when my preschooler comes down with an unbreakable fever. Occasionally, it is necessary.

So, I went through my drug stash and I discovered that we have 5 affected products. FIVE. All of them except for one have been ingested by my children. This scares me because according to the recall, I have either A.) allowed my children to ingest particles of god-knows-what or I have B.) accidentally let my children to OD on acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that the kids have taken the recalled medication and they are still okay.  However, this recall almost seems worse than all the others just because my babies actually swallowed this stuff.

I don’t understand how this kind of thing even happens in the first place. You’d think these companies would be more careful because their products are for children.

But they aren’t. Nothing is safe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails