Tummy Troubles.

In case you haven't heard via Facebook or by talking to me, Bronx has been having some digestive issues. He started throwing up after feedings over two weeks ago. Just to be clear, he was projectile vomiting Linda Blair style. It wasn't every feeding and sometimes he would go a day or two with no problems at all, but it still keeps happening. At first, we thought it was just because we were all sick with some kind of bug. But Bronx was the only one who ever threw up. And then we all got over the bug, but the throwing up never stopped.


The doctor suspected pyloric stenosis. It's a condition in infants around Bronx's age that causes the muscles around the stomach to harden which narrows the space for food to pass, and then stuff comes back up. It has to be corrected with surgery. It's another one of those things that is more common in little white boys (go figure).


So, last Thursday we were sent to the hospital lab to have a blood draw. Blood draws on infants are awful. Especially when you get a phlebotomist that can't find a vein. Luckily, the girl that drew his blood on Thursday hit his vein on the first try. There were still tears, but at least there was no torture.


The blood tests showed that Bronx's sodium levels were low. The doctor admitted him to the hospital on Friday for I.V. fluids and an ultrasound. The ultrasound of his stomach came back fine, but we stayed overnight for the fluids and for observation. This time, Bronx wasn't so lucky. The nurse who tried to start his I.V. (key word here is "tried") couldn't find a vein in either one of his hands and she took her time fishing with the needle. As a former phleb and the mother of the child being used as the pin cushion, it was awful to watch. And on top of that, before they even started they advised me to leave the room! The idea of leaving Bronx to deal with all that stress alone was so heartbreaking. The least I could do was make sure that his mommy was with him while all of this was going on. So, I stayed and watched the fishing and bit my tongue.


Eventually, the nurse gave up and later an anesthesiologist was called in to start the I.V. He tried Bronx's foot first, but it didn't work, so he ended up putting the line in his leg. They taped it up like crazy to keep it from moving. It almost looks like a little baby cast in the pictures.








After the I.V. was placed (which fell out on it's own the next morning) and his ultrasound was done, Bronx met his evening nurses. One of them was a student nurse who made the stay so much easier. Bronx took to her immediately and talking with her helped to ease my anxiety. It was so neat to see him stop crying and just listen to her talk. She was a bit sassy and I think he really liked listening to her speak. So, I took a picture of him with his new friend.




Later on that night, I almost lost it. Bronx started screaming and I could tell he was in pain. I called the nurse, who never showed and I called again. This time,  a different nurse came and explained that my nurse was tied up. I told her my baby was in pain, and asked if he could have some Tylenol. She said that she'd have to ask his nurse, who would have to talk to the doctor to get the okay. Poor Bronx waited and screamed for almost two hours while Matt and I took turns trying to comfort him. I would have given him some Tylenol myself and just told the nurses to make a note of it, but I didn't think I had some. The nurses finally did show up with the stuff and later on I discovered that I had Tylenol infant drops in the diaper bag.
The next morning they scheduled Bronx for an upper G.I. study, but then it was moved to Monday because the hospital staff discovered that the radiologist wasn't there on the weekends. Bronx was discharged later in the afternoon and we went back on Monday for the G.I. study, where they strapped the poor kid on a board and fed him barium while we watched it flow through his esophagus and into his stomach. A half-hour later they followed up with a chest x-ray. The results should have been ready by yesterday afternoon, but when I called they told me that they only had partial results and the nurse would have to call me back. Almost 24 hours later and I still haven't heard anything. It's starting to make me nervous. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Update: The doctor's office finally called and the tests came back NORMAL! No Pyloric Stenosis! No out-of-town surgery! The doctor is pretty confident at this point that he is just having severe symptoms of reflux, so he may need to go on medication, but otherwise he is fine!
Related Posts with Thumbnails