Early Arrival?

It's been awhile since I've updated because we haven't had any other news about the baby. We've been waiting and waiting for our 32 week appointment so we could see what was going on with all the issues I've been having this time around. That appointment finally came today. We had an ultrasound, and the tech determined that the placenta has moved out of the way. Yay! That's one less thing to worry about. The baby is measuring about a week smaller than where I'm at, but his growth rate is still normal. More good news, since we've been worried about him becoming too large because of the gestational diabetes.

We were caught by surprise when we saw the doctor after the ultrasound and he explained what we're going to be doing in the weeks ahead. In two weeks, I go back for a regular prenatal appointment. In four weeks, I am having another ultrasound to measure the baby's growth again. Sometime during one of those appointments, I am also scheduled for a non-stress test, to determine how the baby is doing. Then, at 37 weeks (which is exactly 5 weeks from now), the doctor wants to do an amniocentesis to check the baby's lung development. For those of you who don't know, an amniocentesis is a procedure where they draw amniotic fluid from around the baby out of my belly through a super-duper long needle. I don't have a problem with needles (I used to be a phlebotomist!) but this even scares my socks off. If his lungs look good when the results come back, then they want to induce labor. So it looks like the baby will be here sometime at the end of August rather than September.

I'm a little freaked out by this, because I really wanted to avoid an induction at all costs. However, the doctor thinks that it is medically necessary to do this because of the risks associated with the diabetes.

I guess that means we're going to meet our little guy in a little over a month now, versus two! We can't wait to see him!


ScannedImage ScannedImage-2

These are the sonograms that were taken at today's ultrasound. I wish they had turned out better, but they ended up being really blurry because he wouldn't hold still. He's always moving around like crazy in there and today was not an exception at all. It also didn't help that he kept blocking his face with his little hands, so it was hard to get a decent shot. The ultrasound tech was happy when she finally got a picture where you could at least make out an eye socket, so I guess we'll have to be happy with that since we're not going to have to wait too much longer to see him in person.

That reminds me, I should probably get started on packing that darn hospital bag...
Related Posts with Thumbnails