Visit to the High-Risk Maternity Center

We took a trip to the High Risk Maternity Center at the hospital last Monday for the fetal echocardiogram. The baby's heart looks perfect! No dextrocardia! (Which means that the baby's heart is not reversed. My mother has dextrocardia with total situs inversus, so all of her organs are a mirror image of a normal person's. Because this is a genetic disorder and I may be a carrier, all of my children are scanned for this during pregnancy.) However, the doctor we saw there seemed to be a little concerned about my low-lying placenta and the bleeding, so he mentioned that he would talk to my doctor when he submits the baby's heart report about going back to the center so they can monitor me. I doubt I'll have to do that unless the placenta issue gets worse. Hopefully, that won't happen. They did not do a confirmation of the baby's sex at the echocardiogram, but Matt and I kept referring to the baby as a he, so maybe the fact that the tech didn't disagree with us was another confirmation. We've already had two different ultrasound techs saying it's a boy and we have a sonogram clearly showing the goods, so how much more proof do we need?

The most exciting thing that came out of the echocardiogram (besides the clean bill of heart health for the baby) was the sonogram pictures we got to take home. The first and last one are profile shots of his handsome little face and the one in the middle is a zoomed out shot where he has his feet right in his face. He looks like he already has some long legs. Pretty sure he doesn't get that from me or Matt.



copyright-suburban princess diaires
copyright-suburban princess diaires

copyright-suburban princess diaires

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. I managed to get Kamryn into a booked sibling class at the hospital. We thought it would be a good idea to help him get ready for the new baby. I also ordered him a "Big Brother" t-shirt online to wear to the class and to the hospital when he comes to visit after the baby is born.

Last night things got a little freaky again. I had overdone it yesterday, taking Kamryn for a walk and exhausting myself doing housework. So, it makes sense that my body would get angry. I ended up having contractions all night long, I threw up twice and my thighs were achy. All are classic signs of pre-term labor. The contractions settled back down shortly after I woke up this morning, but now I know I have to be extra careful. Too much of anything seems to provoke contractions and I need to keep this baby in here for as long as I can. We'll be at 24 weeks in just a few more days and that's just at the age of viability. We're hoping he doesn't decide to come out until at least the 36 week mark. I'm also one step away from being on total bed rest and I'm not a fan of that, so I'm going to be taking it extra easy from now on.

Now I'm off to celebrate Kamryn's 2nd birthday this weekend! My little boy is growing up so fast!

Related Posts with Thumbnails