Newest Addition: An Overview of the Past 21 Weeks

Matt and I found out on January 7, 2009 that we were expecting again. It was the news that we had been waiting for since I had suffered from a miscarriage back in April '08 that was caused by a severe viral infection. The loss was devastating, so naturally we were nervous when we conceived for the third time last Christmas. We waited out the first two months a little on edge, although we were optimistic because this time I wasn't sick. At nine weeks, we had our first doctor's appointment. The ultrasound instantly put my fears to rest, the baby looked great and dated perfectly for it's gestational age.

copyright-suburban princess diaries


However, there was a problem. The hormones from the pregnancy started making me terribly sick almost immediately. It ended up getting so bad that I was diagnosed with hyper emesis. I was put on home nursing care and had to have an I.V. for fluids and was also put on a pump that administered medication through a small tube inserted in my leg. For almost two whole months, I could barely function. Luckily, once the first trimester ended, I started feeling almost normal again.

At our next doctor's appointment, we had another ultrasound for nuchal translucency screening, which checks for Down Syndrome, heart, and other abnormalities. It's an optional test, but Matt and I opt for all the screenings. We figure that the more screenings and tests that come back normal, the less we have to worry about. I was at 14 weeks by then, and the ultrasound tech determined that I was too far along to complete the screening. We still ended up getting a sonogram out of the deal, and I love to have pictures of the baby.

copyright-suburban princess diaries
We also knew from the beginning that we were going to find out the sex of the baby as soon as we could. And I was super jealous when an old friend from high school who is due a couple of days before me found out the sex of her baby weeks before my 20 week ultrasound was even scheduled. The wait was so insane and I have zero patience when I'm excited. Finally, the big day came and much to our surprise, we were told that we were having another baby boy. Matt and I (and everyone else) had guessed that it was going to be a girl so I thought that I might be a little disappointed if it turned out otherwise. I actually was so overwhelmed with happiness while I watched the baby on the ultrasound monitor grab his tiny little foot that I couldn't have cared less about what sex the tech called out. He is beautiful and amazing. And he's ours.

copyright-suburban princess diaries

copyright-suburban princess diaries

Now we're one day away from 22 weeks and another doctor's appointment. We have a fetal echocardiogram coming up in a week, which is done during all of my pregnancies because of my family history of heart abnormalities on my mother's side. It sounds scary, but because my sisters, myself and my son have all been born with normal hearts it is likely that this baby will be fine too. We also will probably get a second confirmation on the sex of the baby at the echocardiogram, so that's something to look forward to.

So this is the most updated belly photo I have. It was taken the day after my sister's wedding when I was 19 weeks. The guy standing next to me is my dad.

copyright-suburban princess diaries

Related Posts with Thumbnails